Pulmonary Rehabilitation is designed to reduce and control the symptoms and complications experienced with moderate to severe pulmonary disease. CGH Medical Center's Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program can help you address the frustrations and challenges that you encounter with pulmonary disease. This treatment is accomplished through a program of exercise and education, and goals tailored specifically to you and your lung disease.
- Exercise Training - to help you exercise safely, strengthen your muscles and get your energy back.
- Education and counseling - to help you understand and manage your lung condition. If you are a smoker, we can also counsel you on ways to help you stop smoking.
- Goals of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Breathing exercises
- Conserving energy
- Managing stress
- Controlling your weight
- Quitting smoking
- Eating healthy
- Doing safe exercises at a pace tailored to you
- Taking medications, as needed
- Build confidence in what you do
- Learn the right questions to ask
- Learn to recognize if you have new problems
Pulmonary rehabilitation is provided on an outpatient basis, and you'll need to complete paperwork and take a six-minute walk test (as tolerated, with which you may stop and rest as needed) before you begin. You also may need to perform other lung function tests. If you decide to enroll, you'll meet with the team three times per week for 6-12 weeks.
In each session, you'll perform an exercise program based on the results of your six-minute walk test, your pulmonary function test results, your medical history and your goals.
You will work with your pulmonologist, nurse practitioner, respiratory therapists, and other medical experts who are all working hard to help you breathe better and feel better.
You are a candidate for pulmonary rehab if:
- You have been diagnosed with moderate to severe pulmonary disease.
- The results of your pulmonary function test show your disease to be severe. (Older pulmonary function tests may need to be repeated for a more accurate diagnosis).
- You are a nonsmoker or participant in a smoking-cessation program. We can help you with that too.
- Your physician has approved it.
If you meet certain medical criteria, some of the program's cost is covered by Medicare. Many private insurance carriers will also cover some of the cost.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
If you are interested in Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at CGH Medical Center or have any questions about the program, please call our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Coordinator at (815) 564.4847.