Diabetes can touch almost every part of your life.
At CGH Medical Center, our diabetes specialists are dedicated to helping people with diabetes to live independent, satisfying lives. The treatments we offer—and the diabetes education classes we provide—can help you to manage your everyday, routine diabetes decisions. And that can free you up to enjoy your life just a little bit more.
Getting to the heart of your diabetes symptoms
Managing your diabetes takes work—but it's work you don't have to do all by yourself. Our team can help you to:
- Manage your diet.
- Incorporate exercise into your daily life.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels.
You'll meet with the team in a one-on-one assessment appointment, in which your diabetes educator will assess your diabetes symptoms and overall health and pull together a treatment program. Whether you have been newly diagnosed or have been living with the disease for years, an individualized consultation can help you.
Then, we'll monitor your progress in a series of follow-up adjustments. If you're not seeing the results you'd like, we'll adjust our plan accordingly.
Ashley Scanlan, RN, BSN - Diabetes Educator
Kaylene Becker, RN, BSN - Diabetes Educator
John Park, MS, RDN, LDN - Registered Dietitian
Diabetes education to help boost your confidence
Diabetes education is powerful. The more you know about your diabetes, the better you will be able to manage your blood sugar levels. We offer two different diabetes education programs:
- Individual counseling. You'll be matched with a trained diabetes educator, and together you'll create a customized diabetes action plan.
- Group classes. We also offer diabetes classes on a monthly basis. Our diabetes classes use a curriculum approved by the American Diabetes Association, and they include an open discussion period, which gives you the opportunity to ask questions and learn about a wide variety of topics related to diabetes.
Our emphasis on education is just one reason that CGH Medical Center has achieved American Diabetes Association (ADA) Recognition Status for over 10 years. We also consistently provide care that exceeds the ADA recommendations.
Our dietitians provide medical nutrition therapy to help manage health conditions including:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Weight problems
- Food allergies
- Malnutrition and nutrition support
- Kidney disease
- Celiac disease and other gastrointestinal disorders
Do I Need a Referral?
A referral from a primary care provider is necessary before scheduling an appointment for nutrition counseling.
Are Nutrition Counseling Services Covered by Insurance?
Many health insurance plans cover dietetic services. However, health insurance plan coverage varies, so it’s important to examine the coverage provided by your plan.
What is a Registered Dietitian?
To find out more about the diabetes educator in Sterling that can serve you at CGH Medical Center, visit our provider directory.