When you have cancer, getting the right treatment matters. At CGH Medical Center, we have an entire team devoted to cancer care. We can help you get the cancer diagnosis you need, and we can work with you on cancer treatments that can help. We can also connect you with resources right here in Sterling that can support you and your family during your cancer fight.
Types of cancer we treat
Our oncologists are skilled clinicians with experience in diagnosing and treating all sorts of cancer, including:
- Prostate cancer
- Lung cancer
- Colon cancer
- Breast cancer
We've helped people who are dealing with cancer for the very first time, and we've helped people who are living with a recurring form of cancer. No matter what type of cancer you have and no matter where you are in your treatment journey, we are here to help.
Cancer treatments we offer
CGH cancer care's mission is to provide the best care through knowledge, compassion, skill and technology. We're proud to offer the area's best resources.
Our oncologists work within our highly advanced Hematology and Oncology Clinic. Here, they offer oncology testing, diagnostics, chemotherapy and immunotherapy.
Other cancer treatments are provided through the Northern Illinois Cancer Treatment Center. Through this partnership we offer:
- Radiation therapy
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- RapidArc radiotherapy technology
- High-precision radiation therapy
Supporting you during cancer treatment
We know that living with cancer isn't easy and that going through cancer treatments can cause a huge disruption to your everyday life. That's why we offer support services for people who come to us for cancer care. Your oncologist and oncology nurses will always listen to you, support you and help you.
Sue Hageman, our Clinic Nurse Navigator, will meet with every new patient to make sure the testing you need is ordered and ready for doctor review, as well as to provide education regarding your treatment plan.
We can also connect you with:
- Community support: Home of Hope visits daily with our patients in our infusion center and gives you an opportunity to ask questions, get support and learn more about cancer.
- Wigs: Northern Illinois Home Medical Supply offers free wigs for people with cancer.
- Grief counseling: Hospice of the Rock River Valley offers counseling in your home, on the phone or in a group format.
- Coping skills and social support: CGH Ways to Wellness Program offers free counseling by phone.
- Breast cancer support: We offer specialized support through our Breast Cancer Navigator program. When you're diagnosed with cancer, our nurse navigator will meet with you to connect you with resources that can help as you fight back. And our nurse will be there to provide emotional support during your treatment. To find out more, call 815.625.0400, ext. 4873.
- Financial Assistance: Our Financial Advocate, Margo Bartels, is available to walk you through how your cancer diagnosis will impact you financially. To find out more, call 815.625.0400, ext. 4620.
CGH Medical Center is certified by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI), an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). QOPI certification is given to outpatient hematology-oncology practices that meet the highest standards for quality. CGH Medical Center was the first in Illinois to achieve this recognition.
The QOPI® Certification Program (QCPTM) was launched in January 2010, with more than 200 practices already certified. This certification for outpatient oncology practices is the first program of its kind for oncology in the United States. Oncologists can achieve certification by meeting the highest standards of care. The QCP seal designates those practices that not only scored high on the key QOPI quality measures, but meet rigorous chemotherapy safety standards established by ASCO and the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS). Learn more about ASCO and QOPI.
Find out more
Our team is here to serve your healthcare needs. To find out more about the oncologists ready to serve you, visit our provider directory.