It's no secret that volunteer work is good for you. By giving to others, you can boost your sense of confidence and self-worth. And some studies suggest that the time you spend in volunteer opportunities could help boost your physical health, too.
CGH Medical Center offers a number of volunteer opportunities—right here in the Sauk Valley. We have programs for adults, and we have summer volunteer opportunities and year-round volunteer options for young adults too.
The work you do here will help to enhance our mission: "To provide quality healthcare in a caring, efficient and cost-effective manner." And you just might have a bit of fun too.
What's involved in volunteer work?
Since 1957, CGH Auxiliary members have donated their time and talents to help their friends and neighbors in times of need. Our volunteers help us to deliver high-quality healthcare, and they deliver a touch of compassion and personalized attention to families in need.
Volunteer opportunities at CGH Medical Center include:
- Reception desk: Greet hospital visitors, help patients who need wheelchair support and run errands.
- Surgical waiting: Help patients register, and work as a host for families waiting for patients in surgery. Keep track of family members during the surgery, so physicians and surgeons can find them to share updates. Advise families of surgery progress.
- Floor workers: Deliver mail, newspapers and flowers to patients in the hospital.
- Emergency department liaisons: Provide information and lend comfort to both patients and families.
- Gift shop: Assist gift shop staff, greet and assist customers in our hospital gift shop.
- Barnabas Chaplain's Assistants: Reach out to patients who are lonely, hurting and apprehensive through the ministry of visitation, and provide literature about services available from the Chaplain's Office.
We're also looking for volunteers to help with:
- Computer support.
- Fundraising projects.
- Health fairs.
- Health screenings.
- Scholarship Committee support.
- Secretarial tasks.
- Sewing projects.
- Telephone assistance.
On-call volunteers may be needed to assist with special projects and fundraisers. You'll train with experienced volunteers, so you'll know just what to do in each position.
Why should I volunteer?
As a volunteer with CGH Medical Center, you'll belong to a tradition of 50+ years of caring. You'll make new friends, and together you'll share the gift of caring. Plus, you might experience a sense of accomplishment that comes from providing a meaningful service to your community.
In addition, you'll receive a discount on purchases in our hospital gift shop. And you'll be invited to participate in our annual recognition event.
Become a volunteer
Adults: Become a CGH Auxiliary member, and ask two people to provide a reference for you. We'll contact you for a personal interview.
Young adults in grades 9 through 12: Ask two people to provide a reference for you, and fill out an application form. We'll contact you for a personal interview, and we'll ask to see a copy of your immunization record.
Or, call the Auxiliary office at CGH Medical Center at 815.625.0400, ext. 5727.
Job shadowing program
If you're looking for another way to give back to your community while learning more about working as an employee of CGH Medical Center, consider our job shadowing program. Here, health professionals have the opportunity to meet our staff and observe our day-to-day operations in a specialty of their choosing. For more information, email our Human Resources staff.
Holiday Lighting 2020
Thank you for joining us for our 7th Annual Healthy & Bright Holiday Lighting sponsored by the CGH Medical Center Auxiliary. For more information about honoring your loved one, please call the Auxiliary office at CGH Medical Center at 815.625.0400, ext. 5727.