At CGH Medical Center, we take the job of caring for you very seriously. And we know that a robust set of rights and responsibilities can help make that job easier. After all, adhering to your rights can make you—as our patients—feel respected, which can ensure your loyalty, making CGH your hospital of choice. And by fulfilling your responsibilities, you can help provide us with the information and knowledge we need to care for you better.
Your rights as a patient of CGH Medical Center
As a patient you have the right to:
- Receive healthcare services based on your needs, without discrimination or favoritism.
- Receive safe care that respects your confidentiality and your personal privacy, property, values and beliefs.
- Ask questions and receive information in a language and terms you can understand about the staff caring for you, your condition and any unexpected outcomes.
- Know all treatment options and participate in decisions about your care.
- Have a family member or representative of choice and your physician notified of hospital admission.
- Refuse any care or treatment offered and be informed of any medical consequences of refusing care.
- Request access to and amendment of your medical record.
- Assessment and prompt treatment of pain.
- Express and have reviewed any complaint or conflict about your care and safety.
- Be free from all forms of abuse, neglect or harassment.
- Request referral to community protective services.
- Be free from restraints, except in situations where restraint is necessary to protect your safety or the safety of others.
- Complete advance care directives and have your wishes respected.
- Receive care to make you as comfortable as possible at all stages of life, including end-of-life care.
- Agree or refuse to participate in any research studies affecting your care.
- Decide who may visit you.
- Request a discharge planning evaluation.
Your responsibilities as a patient of CGH Medical Center
As a patient, you have the responsibility to:
- Give your doctors and nurses accurate and complete information about your medical history and current condition.
- Report any pain or changes in your condition promptly.
- Ask questions if you do not understand your plan of care or treatment.
- Follow the treatment plan recommended by those responsible for your care.
- Accept personal responsibility if you refuse or do not follow your treatment plan.
- Be considerate of staff, other patients and visitors, and hospital rules.
- Inform and provide the hospital with a copy of any advance directives you have completed.
- Provide insurance information and assume financial obligation for services rendered.
- Keep track of personal possessions; limit the amount of money you keep with you; and inform the nurse of money, jewelry or any other valuables that need to be placed in the safe.
Have a question, compliment or complaint about our hospital?
We want to be your first choice. By sharing your concerns and complaints, you can give us feedback that helps us to improve. And the compliments and comments you share can also help our team to remain inspired in their work.
Our patient advocate is happy to hear about your experience with CGH Medical Center.
Kimberly Jordan, Patient Advocate
CGH Medical Center
100 E. Le Fevre Road
Sterling, IL 61081
815.625.0400, ext. 4011
If you have a complaint and you're unable to resolve it with our patient advocate, contact the Illinois Department of Public Health's 24-hour, toll-free Central Complaint Registry at 800.252.4343.
Still have questions or need more information? Email us.