Contact: Rebecca Green
Blood shortages are now occurring in the U.S. as a side effect of the Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19), and blood donors are recognized as essential critical infrastructure in our response to COVID-19. We are working to prevent shortages locally…and the time to donate is now! CGH Medical Center, 100 E. LeFevre Rd, Sterling, will host a community blood drive on Thursday, April 2 from 9:30 am to 7 pm in the Ryberg Auditorium. For this blood drive, there are a few things to remember:
- No walk-ins will be allowed. To make an appointment, please contact Connie at (815) 625-0400, ext. 5425 or Michelle at ext. 6879; or visit https://www.bloodcenterimpact.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/84840
- You will NOT be allowed to donate if:
- You are 80 years old or older.
- You have been diagnosed with or are being tested for COVID-19 (coronavirus).
- You have been within six feet of someone who has the virus or is being tested for the virus.
- You have fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
- Blood donation is safe! Blood drives are safe environments where staff and donors are screened to be sure they are healthy and well and have not been exposed to the virus to be present. They are not mass gatherings for the purpose of social distancing.
- It’s the blood on the shelf from regular donors that saves lives. Blood is a critical resource for patients and the blood center must maintain 24/7 operations during this pandemic to ensure life-saving treatment can continue.
- The blood supply is safe! There are no reports of the spread of COVID-19 by blood transfusion, and blood donation is permitted under the Shelter in Place directive in the State of Illinois.
On the day of the drive, donors are asked to complete their health questionnaire prior to arrival by going to www.bloodcenter.org/earlyq. Potential donors must be at least 17 years of age (16 with parental permission form available through www.bloodcenter.org) and weigh more than 110 pounds. All donors must bring a Photo ID. Donors who last gave blood on or before 02/06/20 are eligible to give at this drive.